I spent a good long while looking up table designs, etc. I definitely want it to house the miter saw I have as well as hold the wet/dry vac underneath the saw. I’m getting most of the lumber for that from my dad. It’ll be nice to get the materials for free, I just have to wait until we can get the wood up to Jacksonville.
So I thought what a good opportunity to not only remove the existing table and cabinet, but clean and regrease the saw. See previous posts for pics of the saw with table and cabinet.
This morning before work I had time to work on this. I got the cabinet and table fully removed. I still need to smooth out the saw where it was welded to the table and just clean up as much of the machine as possible. I’m already taking off some of the more simple parts for cleaning, and I’ll be replacing things like simple machine screws that are rusty, etc. Everything else gets some sanding and oil.
I’m definitely not ordering any parts from sears for replacement. I tried ordering a miter gauge for my table saw and over the course of one month I just got a bunch and random miter gauge parts. And of course was missing some essential ones that they are now out of…
My dad came up from Ormond Beach on Monday. He brought up my grandpa’s radial arm saw (along with other very essential and exciting goodies – router, router bits, wet/dry vac). We biked the Baldwin trail and the weather was perfect.
It was a good thing I got out and about that day because the next week or so will probably consist of me being in the garage making a new table or cabinet or something for this radial arm saw.
I started removing the existing table from the saw. It was fairly warped and out of square. I’m working out designs for the new saw that incorporate the vacuum being underneath the saw, and a bit more room to maneuver the bottom front knob of the saw for height adjustments.
This Saturday and Sunday I had time here and there to work on these two boxes. I still have to finish sanding them, add hinges and stain them, but I am pretty pleased with them thus far.
The corners are mitered joints with spline inserts of a contrasting wood type. I had to make this jig to hold the box at a 45 degree angle to the blade for the spline cuts.
Here is the box with the splines drying. After they dry they are cut and sanded down.
This is the finished first box before the lid was cut off. You create the whole box, then cut the lid off to ensure the lid fits perfectly.
All other woodshop pictures are here and here.
On Friday my friend Elizabeth and I biked up to the new Zombie bikes location. It’s close to the corner of Main St. and First St. – across Main from the Pearl and down First a bit. There we met up with Joe Gaskin and he toured us around the new facility, which is very much in it’s infancy.
So a lot of work needs to be done – mostly organizing and cleaning. Last week Gary and Joe constructed this stage though. Having it be a venue for Mic and Bike III definitely got discussed and I’m excited.
The building used to be a facility for making “BacZymes”, a pet deodorizer spray. Seeing as how they have more than a few 55 gallon drums of the stuff, you may be seeing Zombie Bikes getting into the pet deodorizer business.
Check out all the photos from my visit here.